A place for my lovely steampunk friends to play!

JR Murray's training scession

Alethearia
    Admin

Location : inside a giant metal beast bent on destroying the world... again

JR Murray's training scession

Post  Alethearia on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:57 pm

OOC: first lesson - for continuity purposes, "OOC" means "Out of character" and after posting an "OOC" please type "IC" (in character) so that we know when your character is talking and when you're talking.

second lesson - for "play well with others" purposes, only post what you do and say. It can get frustrating for both you and other characters when you write what the other person is doing. The term for this is "godmodding" - not to be confused with "godmoding" which is to not only control what the other person does, but to control your affect on the entire universe.

lesson four - For the purposes of keeping us all on the same page, whomever is in charge of the story, aka the admin, will more or less be the dungeon master, writing the universe's reaction to things. For your convenience, I will be posting the narrative in a different color from my character.

And yes, I am aware that I skipped lesson three. I'm not exactly sure why...

IC: You find yourself in what is presumed to be a classroom, seeing as how all the desks have been moved to the sides of the room with the chairs stacked atop them. There is a clear sheet of what appears to be glass on the wall nearest the door and a window on the far side of the room with a rather impressive view of the island below. The island is artificial, and therefore mobile, and is currently somewhere in the Caribbean. Use your imagination!
    JR Murray

Re: JR Murray's training scession

Post  JR Murray on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:31 pm

OOC: Right I think you want me to play along with the story yes? Ok then.

ICC: "What in the fourteen hells! Where am I?" I look out the window at the lanscape. An Island. Why am I on an island. And why....is.. it...Oh gods it is flying! I am on a bloody floating island." I grab the skin of my wrist between two fingernails and pinch hard. "Crap, ouch. Right....so I am really here. And I am really talking to myself. HELLO?" I wait, hoping my desperate cry will be heard by someone.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 pm

A voice comes over the PA system. "Er... um... Sorry. Is this thing working? Hi, hello? Um, this is, uh, Jarreth. Jarreth Harper. Sorry I'm not down there. I... well, I kinda got lost. So, I'm on my way. I'll be there shortly!" The PA clicks off.

OOC: Wonderful job. And yes, playing along. I just find it so much easier to play with a GM. You know?
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 am

"Great, sounds super organised. I have been bought here, to who knows where, by a bumbling cretin."
    Yells out loud "Fine, no worries, i'll just sit her then shall I?"
    I analyse my behaviour. Normally i am no where near this grumpy, but this has been a weird day. I look around the room some more. Obviously there are many more people on the island, there are 32 chairs in the room, and enough tables for these and more stacked beside them. I wander over to the weird glass screen. It is not a window, but it seems to do nothing. I reach out tentatively towards it, touching the smooth surface.

OCC: see that! I have no idea if it is a touch screen or not, so i left it there for the GM to give a response, seeing as i am unsure of what will occur in this training facility!
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:23 am

OOC: XD awesomeness. Love this guy. Such personality. (also, you don't have to color your words if you don't want to.)

IC: As you touch the screen, it makes a "blump" sound and ripples out from where you touch it. The glass then takes on the appearance of paper and begins scrolling off a list of events.

1. Evaluation of your problem solving ability.

2. Evaluation of your combat skills.

3. Evaluation of your piloting skills.

JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:28 am

"Pilot? Combat? Crap, what am I in for? I am just a normal guy, one minute trying to eek out a living on the streets of London, the next here in a mad land! Wait, is this one of those stories, where I am like The One, and all of a sudden have powers I never dreamed possible, and the fate of the world depends on me?"
    I squeeze my eyes shut. There is a few seconds of silence, then I crack open one eye again. Miraculously, nothing is flying around the room, on fire, or changing shape.
    "Oh well." I press Problem Solving, assuming it will take me to a new page.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Indeed it does. Problem solving opens up to a map of the school (sorry I honestly have no idea what the layout is, so we're just going to have to wing it). A little light starts to blip red. You may notice that it is in a confined room and that if you move around, so will the dot. This little red dot is you. Another dot appears, it is just outside your door.

Jarreth skirted to a stop at what he assumed to be the correct door, and opens it. Sure enough, there is a person inside whom he assumed must be his pupil. "Uh... James?"
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 am

"Hey." I say in an extremely calm voice. "Mind telling me what the F**K IS GOING ON HERE A**HOLE?"

OOC: please note, i am not directing these comments at you, and if i am making this too hard, tell me to lay off and i will play along properly. I am enjoying myself tho. Laughing
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:58 am

OOC: oh, if it's in character, it's in character. For instance, some of my characters swear. I personally don't, but it's what they would do, so we try to keep it that way.

IC: Jarreth's eyes could not have gotten any bigger. "I... uh... um... What?"

He stepped inside, closing the door behind him. His mouth opened and closed several times, making him look a lot like a fish on dry land, which was, in fact, very much how he felt. He blinked, glanced to the "white board", then to James, then out the window. Back to James. It occurred to him then that his behavior may be perceived as shifty, so he stopped, stared directly at James's left ear, inhaled and held his breath till he was about to burst.

And then he did. "I don't really know how to explain what exactly is going on here I just was just told to come down and evaluate you and was under the assumption that you were informed about your reason for coming here and all that good jazz so please don't hurt me!" He ended with a flinch and a hesitant glance.
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:31 am

"Ok, look, I don't know why you are so afraid. I have no idea where I am and why I am here. So please tell me, what are you evaluating? And why?"
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Jarreth through up his arms. "Heck if I know. I was just told to take you to the Arena. Whatever that is. Something about it being a test. I don't know. They said you were important to some kind of something. Look, I'm a leather smith that got hired by some old guy to make a fancy suit of armor for this chick with gold eyes. And then we were in Chicago and some crazy crap happened, the old guy died, the chick with the golden eyes became a super warrior, and I got drugged. Then, all of a sudden, I'm stuck in this building being given orders from creepy looking dude with a mask and being told to bring you to the Arena or else they're going to kill my parents, who, by the way, I haven't seen in seven years." Jarreth smacked himself in the face. "And I'm an idiot."
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm

The young man seemed as lost as I felt. I took his arm soothingly. "Don't hit yourself. It bugs me when people do that. Ok, an arena hey? Creepy guys in masks, important quests, parents held for ransom, magical warrior armour, and supernatural women. This actually sounds like it might be fun. And I have a little surprise if the Arena is about a good fight. You might like to watch, it always catches people off guard.
    So, do you actually know where this arena is? If so, do you have anything else for me before we go?"
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:48 am

Jarreth looked up at James, his confidence suddenly back. This man wasn't a threat, and Jarreth wasn't sending him to his death. Massive sigh. Huge relief. On the other hand, this man seemed to have it more together than he did. Not a good thing. He had to man up.

"Right, no. Not that I can think of." And then he thought of it. The key, the one that had somehow magically slipped into his pocket just before he'd been captured. Raide must have put it there, but he couldn't imagine why, he already had one. His father had given it to him. Hesitantly, he removed it from his pocket. "Here, take this. I don't know what it's for, but I have a feeling that you're going to need it." He handed James the key. It looked something like this:

JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:20 am

"Nice. But, umm, is that silver? I can't take it if it is. My...ummm...skin develops....ummm.... a rash on contact with silver. Other metals are fine though. It is a rare...ummm...medical condition.
    You keep it, or if you really want me to have it, wrap it really really well in a rag or something please. Really well."
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Jarreth rolled his eyes. "It's polished bronze. Can't you tell by the tincture?" How did he know that? Was it all those days of working with Asper? Or was it just another one of those randomly annoying facts that Raide forced on him before he got nabbed? Whatever. "Look. Take it. It's important or she wouldn't have given it to me."
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 am

"Thanks" I take the key and place the chain around my neck, then drop it under my shirt and vest. Interesting. First he says he has no idea if it for anything, even showing surprise it is in his pocket. Next he attaches absolute importance to it.
    "Anything else, or shall we move off? And on the way, you can tell me who "she" is."
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:05 pm

"Uh, yeah, sure." Jarreth lead James out the door and down the hall, heading vaguely in the direction of the upper level docking ring. "She," Jarreth began tentatively, "was Raide. The chick with the golden eyes that I mentioned. She, uh... kinda had a big impact on my life."

OOC: sorry for Jarreth's sketchiness. He isn't very well put together and has a terrible short term memory.
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 pm

"You are not hugely forthcoming are you? The one that became a superwarrior with your armour?"
    I look around the corridor we are walking down. This is a very classy establishment, the bare classroom was nothing like the opulence they strode down now. Burnished wooden walls, huge gilt framed portraits, brass lanterns fired by gas, and chandeliers in every new section. But where were all the people?
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 pm

OOC: Very Happy good catch with the people. I love that you got that just from the ambiance. woot! And if you've been reading other people's stuff. More awesomeness, it means you're ahead of the class. BTW, A for playing well with others.

IC: "Forthcoming? Yeah... something like that. It must run in the family. I don't know, most of it has to do with the fact that I'm lost most of the time. Honestly, I have no idea why they picked me to do this." Jarreth headed in what he assumed was the general direction of the docking port, namely, topside.
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 am

Up and outside, that was where i wanted to be. I assumed Olly was tracking me down now with his infallible instincts. If this all went pearshaped, he would like Olly to be nearby, just a whistle away.
    "Lost all the time? Man, you should always know exactly where you are. If the rest of the world has difficulty with where you are standing in it, stuff them. Hold your shoulders high and act with confidence, find out what needs doing and do it. Life is to wonderful, but also too short to wander around in aimlessly."
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 am

Jarreth eyed James skeptically. Still, he had a point. Hadn't Raide told him the same thing over and over and over and over and over...There were several more "overs" in there somewhere.

As though in direct reaction to what James had said, Jarreth stood a little straighter, rolled his shoulders back. "Yeah, you're right." And then he sighed. "I guess I owe you a better explanation than the rant I gave you before, huh. Well, it all started with Raide. No, it goes further back than that. It started with my parents. They went missing when I was a kid. But then, about six months back, this guy shows up in my shop and hires me on to make this special armor for his daughter, Raide. Things kinda went downhill from there."
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 am

I keep off eyeing of my surroundings, as I reply in an semi-interested tone "Mmmm, hmm, I see."
    I just want to get outside again, nice as these rooms are I am a man of the open spaces.
    "So it was just normal armour when you put it together?"

OCC: my character is slowly forming in my head, and my role here might be changing as a result. Originally a little scared, he is now taking control and looking for a way out.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 am

OOC: seems like regular character development to me. Go with it.

IC: Jarreth nodded as he took a sharp left and ascended a squared set of spiraling stairs. "Yeah, pretty much. Just pieces and parts with these cool designs that took forever to carve. But then she put it on. And there was this blinding light and the envelope popped and we took a plunge into Lake Michigan. Not a fun thing in the middle of October."
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:59 am

"Again, always be sure exactly where you are. I know money makes the world go round, but taking large amounts of money from weird strangers to make something you are unsure what it really is....well, that sounds like being lost again to me."
    More up. Up was good. would take olly less time to arrive when called. I just had to hope we were heading somewhere without a ceiling.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Jarreth glared at James. "I may not have known my destination, but I knew what I was getting into. Alasier knew my parents, knew what happened to them. I was going to do anything to find out what happened to them. And oh my gosh! Are these stairs ever going to end."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:47 pm