A place for my lovely steampunk friends to play!

Izzy's game

Alethearia
    Admin

Location : inside a giant metal beast bent on destroying the world... again

Izzy's game

Post  Alethearia on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 pm

OOC: first lesson - for continuity purposes, "OOC" means "Out of character" and after posting an "OOC" please type "IC" (in character) so that we know when your character is talking and when you're talking.

second lesson - for "play well with others" purposes, only post what you do and say. It can get frustrating for both you and other characters when you write what the other person is doing. The term for this is "godmodding" - not to be confused with "godmoding" which is to not only control what the other person does, but to control your affect on the entire universe.

lesson four - For the purposes of keeping us all on the same page, whomever is in charge of the story, aka the admin, will more or less be the dungeon master, writing the universe's reaction to things. For your convenience, I will be posting the narrative in a different color from my character.

And yes, I am aware that I skipped lesson three. I'm not exactly sure why...

IC: You find yourself in a large room with a domed window. Something like this: Outside you have a lovely view of the Caribbean. The trouble is, you're not alone.

Reginard watched her intently. He'd been perched on a table for some time and, now that she'd finally entered the room, he wondered how long it would take her to ask what exactly was going on. Furthermore, he wondered how long it would take her to get frustrated and demand that he remove his mask. It always happened, eventually. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but it always happened. He smiled at that thought and waited, trying not to snicker.

Imagine this guy:

with this mask:
    Izzy Burnham

Re: Izzy's game

Post  Izzy Burnham on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 pm

She wasn't happy about what had just happened to her, no not one bit. Here she was, practically royalty amongst her peers, being carried and manhandled like a kitchen girl who'd been caught with her hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. Izzy held a hard glare at the door for a while, hoping that the person on the other side could feel it. If she had it her way, his brain would melt out of his ears, but she'd settle for striking some good ol' fashioned fear into the man. Dusting herself off, she turned away from the door and began to look around the room.

The formality of it nearly knocked her over; it'd been a long time since she stood in such an opulent room. In a way, that put her in a better mood; at least if the room was so nice, she could rough it up a bit when they tried to touch her again. She strode towards the window and leaned against the glass, admiring the ocean below. She'd sailed over its blue, crystalline waters many times, but had never really taken the time to look at it. The color of it almost resembled Compound 133, variation 5, which she found amusing.

Hearing a stifled laugh behind her, Izzy turned around to see a man, casually lounging on a table. He looked a bit like an officer of the law, and she instinctively reached for her gun, swearing when it wasn't there. He had a strange mask on his face, one that reminded her a bit of a jungle cat's face. Now what could be the point of that? She hesitantly took a step towards him. "So are you the one who gave the order to bring me here? Or are you as confused as I?" Izzy was fairly certain it was his doing, but perhaps appearing as naive as possible would get her answers quicker...
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Reginard tilted his head slightly, still amused by the young woman. She had fire, that would make things interesting, and he liked interesting. He had half a mind to sit quiet and let her rant for a bit, then, maybe, they would be able to just move on to testing her combat skills, but she had asked a question and his honor demanded that he answer it as best he could.

"No," he said, taking a more serious tone. "I didn't bring you here. I was merely assigned as your instructor." He leaped lightly off the table and approached her, being careful not to intrude on her personal space.

"Do you know where you are? Did they tell you anything?"

OOC: I love playing with experienced RPers. I give you visual ques, you use them without meta-gaming or anything like that. A+ for playing well with others. cheers
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:11 pm

OoC: Yay!! :3 I love getting high marks. ^_^

IC:
    She took a step back as he came towards her, again reaching for her weapons. She knew that she at least still had a small knife and a gun on her person, but without her cutlass and pistol, she felt just slightly naked. "My instructor?" Izzy snorted, abandoning her original plan of feigning innocence, "And just what is it I require instruction in?"

She began glancing around the room, making a mental plan as to how she could disarm him and escape. Her comm was safely tucked under her masses of hair, though turned off, but at least she'd be able to contact her crew once she was out of here. That was a comfort, of sorts. Let's see... these tables could definitely give me an edge, even if its just enough to get over his head. If it comes to a fight, though, I might be at a disadvantage... Her hands once more fumbled the place where her sword usually rested on her hip. With a jolt, she realized that her weapon of choice was still in its holster. A combination pistol and dagger, she'd only ever had to use it maybe five times; usually when the business end was in someone's face, they would bow to her wishes. Her confidence returning, she paced a little and continued to observe the room, and her 'instructor.'

"I was told nothing, just snatched off my bar stool and drug in here, kicking and screaming the whole way, I'll have you know. I won't begin to apologize for breaking what's-his-name's nose." She looked at him, smirking just a bit, "But, do give my condolences to... oh, dammit, what was his name?" She paused for a bit, then snapped her fingers,
    "Ah, Jack! He probably won't be having kids... ever."
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:16 pm

"Jack?" Reginard's hand went to his forehead. When he said 'retrieve the candidates' he did not mean by violent means. "The dolt deserved it. And no, I suppose that 'instructor' isn't quite the right word. Consider me-" How to put it? "Consider me an examiner, and this is a test."

It was about then that Reginard finally decided to acknowledge Izzy's reactions. He should have known that she was being defensive, 'should have' being the key words. He'd had so many people react this way to him that it almost didn't phase him. Then again. Why should it? After all, he was supposedly the scourge of the western sky. And besides, he had no feelings for her, so why should it matter that she feared him? But that was the trick, wasn't it? It did matter to him. It mattered a great deal. Because, despite being a pirate, he didn't like people being afraid of him, especially women. Not after what happened with Krys.

His face softened behind the mask, and he retrieved what looked like a folded up sheet of plastic from his jacket pocket and handed it to her. "This is for you. And this." He handed her a hair pin from the same pocket. "Just slide the pin on and press the button on the end. Hopefully it should explain a few things."

If you were to activate the sheet of plastic, it would glow for a moment, then change to resemble paper. The following would be scribed on it in Reginard's flowing handwriting:

Congratulations,
    You have been selected for trial and testing to see if you are worthy to join the noble ranks of The Shadow Cast Society as a Seeker. You will be tested in three areas of expertise.

First will be your problem solving abilities.

Second will be your combat skills.

Finally, you will be tested on your piloting skills.

Thank you so much for your cooperation. And may the grace of Divine Light shine upon you.
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:13 pm

She took the tablet in hand and did as instructed, keeping a wary eye on him. Skills? A seeker? What in the Gods' names... She snorted again, "Problem solving skills, ehh?" Looking back up at him, she pulled her pistol out and cocked it, a satisfying cli-click filled the room. "I've got six little problem solvers in here, and right now you're looking like you could be an issue. I want answers. The Academy? Society of Shadow Cast? A seeker?" She again glanced around the room, placing the tablet on a table behind her. Nifty piece of tech, she'd very much like to take it apart once she was back on the ship.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Reginard smiled, not phased in the slightest. He actually smiled, relaxing a bit, and tried, despite a gun being in his face, to look Izzy in the eye. "Alright. One question at a time then. The Academy is an actual school that many European based aeronauts get their upper grade schooling done, as well as earning all their licensing for international trade. I just chose it as a good location because they know me here.As for the rest, I'm afraid you're going to have to break down your questions. The pistol can stay if you like. It suits you. Actually, I quite prefer it as a problem solving technique. Very to the point, though few people use it, I'm afraid. More's the pity."
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 pm

"Upper level schooling? I'm the damned Pirate Queen of the Midwest! Who decided that I needed schooling?"

Izzy took a calming breath and closed her eyes, "Why am I here? What is a Seeker, and why do you want me to be one? Why was I not informed ahead of time, and instead kidnapped and stripped of all my weapons?" A smirk cracked her face and she opened her eyes, "Well, almost all of them."

"Also, how long will I be here? I am the Captain of a ship, and my crew will be wondering where I am. If you're very unlucky, they'll try and find me. And if Log has been drinking, you're very unlucky indeed..." Her fingers twitched over her lucky gun, half tempted to reach for it, as well. The fact that she seemed to not intimidate this man at all irked her greatly.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 pm

Razz

Reginard nearly put his hand to his forehead again, before he remembered that there was a gun pointed at him. "You don't need schooling. Like I said, it's just a nice site." He inhaled deeply, preparing himself for a further onslaught of questions to interrupt him as he explained.

"Alright, first things first. I did not." He held up a finger. "Did. Not. Intent for you to be dragged here against your will with no notification, or that your weapons be stripped. In fact, I'd much prefer that you have them. People are so much more cooperative when they are comfortable.

"As to why and how long you will be here: the second is simple, as long as you like and you are free to contact your people. My employers wouldn't like us having a scuffle on our hands, though I wouldn't mind the exercise. The first, however takes a bit of explaining. I hope you don't mind. I may ramble a bit. You will let me know if I'm rambling, won't you?" He smiled and nodded at her encouragingly.

"So, as it stands, I do believe I have about half of your stated questions covered. That leaves 'why you're here' and 'what is a seeker', am I wrong?" He didn't wait for a response and just plowed on, taking a very cool, relaxed stance. "You're here for the very reason you stated that you shouldn't need more schooling, your title: Pirate Queen of the Midwest. We like to work with people that are well known and are of possible disreputable conduct. I, for instance, am Sir Reginard, Scourge of the Western Sky." He sighed heavily and rolled his eyes. The title was more of a nuisance than anything.
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:16 am

Izzy dropped her pistol from his face, nodding in respectful recognition, "I've heard of you, indeed. The mask was a surprise, but everything else seems to hold up with the rumors." Shoving the weapon back into its holster, she walked to the window again.

"It is a nice place indeed, and I do apologize for reacting the way I did. Its good to know that you at least understand my reasons behind it." Izzy turned and leaned on the glass, watching him. She'd heard tales about Reginard all throughout her career, that he was one of the last true pirates left in the skies. Of course, this was before she came along and established her empire. Truth be told, she was surprised they hadn't met before. "What's the problem I must solve, then? Now I know who you are, I'm not so inclined to paint the wall behind you with your own brain."
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Reginard smirked, leaning against the table behind him. She was intriguing, enough said. "The mask is a request from my employer. They don't like me flashing my face to potential spies. Not that I consider you one, of course." His smile dropped, and he averted his eyes, though whether it was out of guilt or shamefacedness was still playing out in his mind. It was irritating, being watched, not being allowed to tell her the whole truth, that he had a hidden agenda outside his employer's wishes. But he too was being monitored and therefore had to play his cards carefully.

"Well," he continued at last, having collected himself. "I think it's safe to say you're the first person to actually have solved the problem. It was your interrogation technique I was looking for. However, they want to know how good you are at finding people. It's part of your future role as a Seeker. But before all that, tell me, how much do you know about creatures of the night?"

OOC: great job, btw on inferring. It's a skill that is lacking in many RPers. Also, here is a link to the info I have on "creatures of the night" pick and choose what you know and all that good jazz.

http://shadowcastchronicles.wikia.com/wiki/Creatures_of_the_Night
    http://shadowcastchronicles.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Beings
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:03 pm

She began to casually walk around the room, "I've encountered plenty of them... a few friends of mine were, in fact, Vampires... The, erm, alluring kind, I believe. I've encountered witches and wizards, briefly had one of the latter under my employment. The higher beings, I know very little about, beyond general knowledge." Izzy hopped up and sat down on the table top. "I personally find the existence of the Solentia, the 'Angels' at any rate, rather unlikely. But then, I'm a Hindi in my beliefs." She shrugged a bit.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

"Interesting." Very interesting. "I'll have to take that into account. It's not often that we get someone that is already aware of the existence of the Creatures of the Night. Did they give you a key at all?" He was prying. If she was already a Keyper, it would make his job so much easier, the other job, the one in which he needed her help.

Keypers are the guardians of the Creatures of the Night. Usually, when their secret is revealed, they'll recruit you and give you a fancy key. (here are some examples) http://keyperscove.deviantart.com/
    However, seeing as how the chemător noxfers are generally uninvolved in the Shadow Cast Society's plans, that may not be the case.

OOC: Wow, I feel like I'm back playing D&D "Roll one D4 to determine your relations to these people"
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Hesitantly, she nodded, and reached for one of the pockets in her jacket. She took out an ornate gold key, with a celestite stone in the center, surrounded by clock hands. "My friend, Etienne, gave me this when he told me that he was a Wizard. I don't know if it has any powers? Even if it did, it probably doesn't now since he's dead..." She sighed, "A shame, too. He was a good friend, and a brilliant man."

OoC: Just cause I love posting pictures of pretty things. ^_^
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Upon sight of the key, Reginard's heart skipped a beat primarily, it was out of fear. If the Shadow Cast knew what she was, what he was, well... he didn't want to go there, not again. In two steps he covered the distance between them, took her hand and curled her fingers around the key. "Keep it hidden." His eyes were suddenly intense as he searched her face for some trace of knowledge. "He probably didn't get much of a chance to tell you what it was for, did he?"

OOC: ^^ pretty things!
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Her eyes met his, and a blush briefly covered her cheeks, "He didn't really, no...." She slipped the key back into the pocket and took a step away from him. It made her feel strange, being that close to a man again. She wasn't sure if she liked it or not. "What is it? He didn't, erm, pass his powers onto me or anything, did he?" She began patting herself down, as if something would've magically sprouted up.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 am

Reginard huffed a laugh, this woman, this pirate queen, was, in his mind, slightly ridiculous, but in a good sort of way. Self deprecating humor, though, that was generally a defense mechanism, in his experience. He couldn't help but wonder why, though. Why would she be getting defensive around him? Sure, she had been brought there against her will, but they were on equal terms now, more or less.

No matter, there were things to attend to. "No, no. Nothing so ridiculous as that. Abilities are generally passed down genetically, if you know what I mean. But, I guess, in a way, he passed on his legacy." He was talking quickly, and in hushed tones, as though he were being watched. He was being watched. He had to be. They always had someone watching, especially in situations like this. He could count on his hand the number of places there were he could hide, or speak without being overheard. On the move was best.

"Come with me." He gave the window and angry glance. "Quickly. This way."
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:54 am

Izzy raised an eyebrow, but nodded. "I take it we're being watched, and you're about as alright with that as I?" She smirked once more and picked up the tablet from the table, tucking it under her arm. "Lead the way, Sir."

The key suddenly felt very heavy against her breast, the memory of Etienne more painful than usual. They had become the best of friends, and he taught her quite a lot. Sometimes, she wondered if that wasn't what brought about his early death. Arthur, of course, refused to let her dwell on those thoughts, but he wasn't here anymore, either.... She shook her head and sniffed a bit. Come on now, be a big girl.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 pm

The other side of the room looks like this:

but, you know, with the same color scheme.

Reginard didn't say anything until they were at the door under the balcony. He didn't want to seem like he was escorting her out of the room for any reason other than their desired purposes. But, when he stopped and opened the door for her, he saw the slight puffiness under her eye.

"Isabella, are you alright?"
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:41 pm

She cringed, "Its Izzy, and yes, I'm fine. Just memories and such creeping up on me. Not to worry, I'm alright." She smiled and stepped through the door, taking the tablet out and instead tucking it into her jacket.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:29 pm

"Izzy, right." He didn't believe her, that she was alright. Then again, it wasn't his place to pry. He followed her out the door and into the hallway, his hand hovering as a guide around her lower back. They were in a waiting room, one with many doors, cushioned chairs and a little round table in the center. Reginard urged Izzy toward one of the doors on the far side of the room, opened it for her and waited for her to pass through before exiting himself.

In the hall outside, there were four men, all of whom were in the team that wrangled Izzy in. Reginard recognized the distinct red stains of a broken nose on one of them, Krispen. He had it coming. Reginard smirked. No sign of Jack.

"Wait." He held out his hand in front of her. With his other hand he snapped. Someone tossed him a cutlass and he handed it to Izzy. He extended his hand. A gun, again, presumably Izzy's. He handed it to her as well. Another gun, a rather large knife, something Reginard couldn't identify, but he assumed was deadly, and at last his own oversized pepperbox.

"Right," he said, strapping the weapon to his thigh. "If they didn't forget anything, we're heading that way." He pointed to the left where light could be seen streaming through a window.
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Izzy took her weapons back, glaring at the men the whole time as she reunited them with their various homes. The unidentifiable weapon was tucked against her side in a hidden holster, and she turned to Reginard feeling much more comfortable. "Wait, wait. Where's my hand welder?" She looked down the row of men and saw one of them trying to tuck it into his pocket. He met her eyes, and immediately looked away. "Reginard, I'm very sorry but I must hold you up a tiny bit longer."

She walked up to the man, glanced at his name, "Alright, Jacoby, this is going to hurt." She grabbed his arm and twisted it behind him, nearly forcing him to touch his opposite ear. He cried out, begging for her to release him and apologizing profusely. "You're sorry what?"

"I'm sorry I stole your... thing!"

"My what? My thing?!" She pulled harder, the sickening crunch of bones twisting out of their sockets filled the room. The pain caused him to drop her hand held welding gun, and when it clanked onto the ground, she released his arm. "Next time you decide to steal something, make sure its not from me. Or else I will take your arm completely off."

Izzy turned to Reginard once more, "So, where're we off to now?"
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Reginard smiled, broadly. He was more than a little entertained by the show. It had been a while since he'd seen a woman get forceful. Women should be able to fend for themselves, not that they had to, just that it was beautiful to see a woman stand up for herself. Izzy, of course, seemed to take this to extremes, but it was still attractive, in fact, almost more so.

"Upstairs, to the docking ring. I'll explain on the way. We'll have more privacy on the move. It's harder for them to listen in."
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:55 am

Shoving the welder into its strap on her hip, she followed after him. "So what exactly do we not want them listening in on? You've lost me somewhere... May have been while twisting his arm..." She cracked a smile and popped her knuckles, "Its been a while since I had to get truly physical with someone like that. Anymore most people just bow out and give me what I want. Miss having to work for it." She sighed a bit, "Fame has its price, I suppose."

She watched him as they walked, still curious about the mask. Yes, it hid his identity, but she already knew who he was. What should it matter? Was he horribly scarred underneath, a Phantom of the Sea, so to speak? Izzy shook her head to herself, deciding that if he wanted to tell her he would. He seemed like a fairly straightforward man.

Her attention was drawn outside once more, to the ocean. Truth be told, she'd never been to the ocean. Lakes and ponds, of course. She couldn't avoid rivers, obviously, being that she grew up near the Ohio River. But the ocean, something so vast and deep, that she'd never seen. It was beautiful. She stopped for a moment to look out the window, wondering what sailing on water instead of air must've felt like. People still traveled on it, that she knew, but she'd always belonged to the air. Something to try, someday, maybe. When I retire. She snorted slightly. So it'll never happen.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:33 pm

"Sorry about that." Reginard glanced over his shoulder. "Not the you having to rough him up. Heaven forbid. Should the day ever come that I don't get to fight, I swear all hell will break loose. No, sorry about the losing you bit. You see, that key - what are you snickering at?" He was sure she had snickered. It was kind of hard to mistake.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:41 pm