A place for my lovely steampunk friends to play!

Of Airships and Shapeshifters

JR Murray

Re: Of Airships and Shapeshifters

Post  JR Murray on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 am

"M? Not exactly. Canis. James Canis." James held out his hand to the man, a smile on his face, even though every single hair cell, every nerve and every sense was screaming at him not to. There was something extremely wrong with this fellow, but James' inner most self said. "keep it calm, act normal, DO NOT FREAK OUT, DO NOT DRAW ATTENTION. YET"

Post  Afton E. Lavertue on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Afton drew in a deep breath and slowly exhaled.
    "Geronimo." She looked the fancy lady in the eye and asked, "But first, what is your name?"
    Alethearia
    Admin

Location : inside a giant metal beast bent on destroying the world... again

Post  Alethearia on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Jarreth

Hesitant to say anything further, turned to the suited man. "Uh, sir? Are we free to board?"

With an intrigued air, the suited man nodded. "Yes, Jarreth. Welcome aboard. It's good to see you again. It's been a very long time."

"Excuse me?"

"I knew your parents. Good people, most of the time."

"What are you talking about?"

"We'll have more time to talk later. As is, enjoy the accommodations." And with a final nod to James, "Mister... Canis," he turned his attention to more important things.

~~~~~

Ve

Shock struck Ve with some semblance of irritation. "'Ad I not introduced myself? Sorry, lovey. Dunno 'ow I coulda been that rude." Ve stopped and offered her hand. "Miss Velrietta Saphron Hepsibar Constantine VI, but please call me Miss Velrietta."

A voice called to them from the distance, and it could only have been the man by the zeppelin. "Ve! Come over here darling."

"Daddy," Ve breathed before charging at the suited man and flinging her arms around his neck.
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 am

"Ok, like that is it?" muttered James, lowering his still outstretched hand and glaring at the mans back. He was startled to see a rather attractive young lady run up from the opposite direction and hug the man. He would find out more about this man in good time. From the look of him, he got what he wanted out of life and considered everything else trifles. Well, James had a way of finding out what he needed to know. If his methods annoyed others, he could always call up Olly and fly away from all this. The sky was the safest place for him, so he entered the ship, leaving the girl to smother "daddy" with kisses. He whistled at the opulence. No expense spared here, if anything it was of a richer design than the inside. "Nice place hey Jarreth. He knows you it seems. What about the girl, know her?"
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm

OOC: btw, feel free to describe the airship. I have no idea what it looks like inside and we can totally just bounce off eachother.
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Izzy took a deep breath, and looked to Reginard, "Well, now or never I suppose. Will I see you again?" That had come out a bit more desperate and afraid than she wanted it to, but in truth he was one of the only people she'd met in a long time she felt she could truly relate to. Losing that so quickly after having gained it wasn't pleasant, especially when she had no idea what to expect going into this Arena that he kept speaking of.
    She looked out over the expanse of the zeppelin, watching the exchange between a very well dressed men and a few other people, her stomach suddenly a fit of nerves. Her face would not betray her, though, and she began to stride forward with all the confidence of her title.

OoC:: Gah! Sorry I've been so absent of late, school/work have all but suffocated me. .__________.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am

Reginard swallowed as Izzy strode off, not having answered her question before she left. However, now that she had her back to him he felt safe to answer. "No," he whispered. "Not as you know me, anyway."

When the two of them got to the man, Ve no longer had her arms around the man's neck, though they were chatting genially. Reginard tilted his hat, speaking in a false British accent, "Miss Ve. Pleasure as always."

"I'm sorry," Ve looked perplexed. "Do I know your purple-jacketed self?"

"I'm not wearing a purple jacket." It was Reginard's turn to look perplexed. "And... It's been a long time, Ve."

Ve shrugged, "Time's a floppy pickle."

Reginard sighed. He'd nearly forgotten just how disjointed Ve was. Though, if pressed, he would say she sounded worse than usual. She was deteriorating, and it disturbed him. Even so, he turned his attention to the well-dressed man.

"Sir Constantine. Good to see you again." He was lying through his teeth. Constantine was at the head of everything he hated. But he couldn't let that show. Not now, not ever.

The man nodded. "Reginard. And who is this?" He smiled broadly and offered his hand to Izzy.

OOC: no worries Izzy. We still love you. Very Happy

Post  Afton E. Lavertue on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Afton was beginning to feel overwhelmed and desperately clung to her calm. She watched Miss Velrietta approach her "daddy". Soon two others were by her side. She decided she'd better avoid looking weak and proudly strode up to her-royal-duck-lady's side. The man who had been standing by the ship, Velrietta's father apparently, made Afton feel strange. Knowing he was related to the lunatic who had lead her to the roof probably had something to do with it, but there was something else. He intimidated her. She reinforced her confidence and tried her best to infer as much as she could about each of these people, listening silently to the exchange between the strangers.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Ve immediately thought her father was referring to her own charge and not to Reginard's. "Daddy, this is my new li'ul pet. 'er name is Afton an' I'd very much like tuh keep 'er. Please, daddy. She'd be ever so much fun tuh play with."

Sir Constantine, as he was introduced by Reginard, patted Ve on the cheek with the vague expression of mere tolerance. "Yes dear. Run along, now. We shall be taking off soon."

Ve was positively giddy at this, clutched Afton's arm and dragged her off into the airship. Though, to Ve, the dragging was more of a playful frolic, to be sure. She led Afton into the entrance hall of the airship, pleased as punch that she was in the air again, and completely ignoring Jarreth and James.

Jarreth, however, noticed Ve off the bat. "Velrietta?"

Ve looked around, as though trying to find the source of her name in an empty room.

"Ve?" Jarreth repeated.

"I'm sorry, have we met before?" she asked, still clutching Afton's arm as she whipped around.

"Once, a very long time ago."

"Memory is like jelly beans. So tasty and then, puff."

Jarreth blinked, this was not the Velrietta he remembered from childhood. "How... how's your mother been?"

Ve experienced another sudden and unwanted shock into reality at this. "I... I... She... There's..." She was panicking, barely able to breathe properly.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Reginard, having watched Ve and Afton leave, elbowed Izzy. Again, speaking with a false British accent, he said, "This, is a new compatriot of mine. She will be joining us. Isabella, would you care to introduce yourself?" He hoped that she caught that he had said her full name purposefully, in hopes of assuring her that here, he was a different person altogether.
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:04 pm

She had noticed, though she couldn't understand the change, and looked to Sir Constantine, "That's Izzy, thank you. Captain Izzy Burnham." She hesitantly held a hand out in greeting, not liking their new friend much at all. She kept her back straight and head held high, "Pirate Queen of the Midwest. Now can you tell me what in all of Hades is going on?"
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Sir Constantine took her hand, bowed over it and gave her a warm smile. "Nothing to worry, my dear. Please, if you would join me inside, we can get under way. I do take it, Reginard, that the rest have boarded."

"Yes, Thadius, they have."

"Good, then in we go. Come along." Still holding onto Izzy's hand, Sir Thadius Constantine led the way up the ramp and into the zeppelin.

OOC: btw, this means that those that join us later are already on the ship, probably milling about. Feel free to have fun and do what you wish with... well... everything!
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Izzy's nose crinkled up in mild disgust, but she sensed that keeping this man happy was probably in her best interests, so she left her hand in his. Her stomach wasn't happy, basically every sense in her body was telling her to whip out her cutlass and lob this fop's head off in one clean slice. Sadly, she knew that if she did, she wouldn't get very far before his guards caught her. She glanced back at Reginard, curious as to why he had to be so different around this man. It made her more disgusted by Sir Thadius.

Her earpiece crackled, and she discreetly pressed it further into her ear. It was mainly static, but she could barely make out the voice of one of her crewmen. Apparently they, too, had no idea where she was, and until she could get some alone time, she was thoroughly stranded. Lovely...

As they entered the zeppelin, she noticed many others milling around, some looking scared, others confused and a few, like her, looked angry and uncomfortable. "What is this place?"

Post  Afton E. Lavertue on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:58 pm

After being dragged aboard the ship like a rag doll, Afton remained as close to Ve as possible. She looked around casually. Two men stood near the entrance of the ship and she could hear others bustling about. Although she did feel a little like a hostage, Afton chose instead to appreciate the relief she felt as soon as she stepped aboard the air ship. She was oblivious to Ms. Velrietta's conversation with one of the men until he asked her a question that caused her snap back into her lucid self. Afton could practically feel Ve's anxiety as she stood near her.

She turned to see Mr. Constantine and two others coming up the ramp. She tried to distract herself from the blaring red flag waving frantically in her mind by observing that the place seemed to be crawling with good-looking men.
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:23 am

OOC: Gosh, I am so sorry, I have been hell bent doing other things, and using some spare time I do have on the Empire and another friends site. For some reason I stopped getting emails whens someone posted, so I sort of thought it had stopped for a while. Sorry. I will post when I get a few minutes to spare.
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:22 am

Well, everyone here seemed chummy with the boss man, except him and Jarreth. There was the weird daughter again, with a nice looking young lady who was oggling the men around her. And here was the boss man, holding the hand of a striking young woman in pirates garb. She looked a little uncomfortable in his presence, as did the other woman. So it was not just him that had hackles that rose in his presence. Interesting. The pirate lady was with a tall man, who seemed to be almost quivering to attention, and was wearing a cat mask. Cats got on James' nerves due to his genetic makeup, and so he thought it best to try to avoid the man for the benefit of all concerned.
    James nudged Jarreth, and pointed across the room. "Bar. There. Let's visit."
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:17 am

OOC: One - I like this. Two - James, don't freak out. Three - I'm going to leave you to your own devices for a little while, namely because I'm taking a momentary hiatus. I'm about 15 chapters away from being done with my book and I have 17 days before my goal date is up. So, needless to say, I'm gonna be focused on writing for a while. No worries. I'll be back in a few weeks to continue these awesome adventures.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 pm

OOC: okay guys, I'm back, but I probably won't be as intensive as before seeing as how RL is getting very hectic. I have a website to build, a book to edit, another book to write (I finished the first draft of the last one only a day after my self-proclaimed deadline!), and a book store to open (shall talk about in in OOC chat) But, all that aside, this has been collecting dust for over a month. And thus! I am posting!

IC:

Jarreth was perplexed, his mind had firmly been planted in his childhood and his younger brother's little friend when James had nudged him thereby snapping him out of his reverie.

"Go... go order yourself something," he said to James. "I'll be right there." With that he turned back to Ve, but she was gone, dragging Afton off somewhere. A little perturbed by suddenly being ignored, Jarreth followed the two of them.

"Wait! Ve, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... Are you okay?"

~~~~

Ve turned to look at Jarreth as though seeing him for the first time, of course, she had forgotten that she was latched onto Afton's arm, whipped her around as well. "I'm sorry, have we met before?"

"Yes, we have. A long time ago. You were very young, it was back when my parents were still alive and your mother would bring you to visit us in California." His tone was growing more urgent. "You used to play with my brother in our treehouse. You remember Cadence don't you?"

A pang of memory rang through Ve clear as a the bell's toll: a little shop that smelled strongly of leather and metal, laughter, two little boys dressed in their Sunday best, being covered in mud, getting angry, bright light, a tree falling, her father dragging her off, and the little boys crying.

"No," Ve said with a sharp inhale of breath. "No. I... you can't..." She released Afton's arm to clutch at her own head. Memories, unwanted and untamed, flooded her skull in a fire furnace of pain and anguish. She clutched at her hair, as it fell from her neatly plaited bun. At last she looked up at the face of the man, Jarreth. His face was a mere reflection of the one she had once known.

"You can't," she whispered. Then, stronger, until she was practically shouting. "Stay away from me. The plots and the twisted ways, get them out of me. Tangled up mess of nothings. All the pretties are gone and it's all your fault! Get him out of me! Get him out of my head!"

~~~~~

Reginard spoke to Izzy without looking at her, without looking at anything really. Even as he spoke, his mind was elsewhere, distracted by the thoughts of what was happening, what could happen, and what had transpired long ago. "This is the Hángkōng, flag ship for the Constantine Adelaide Corporation. And, though it may seem otherwise, you're a glorified prisoner, as is everyone else here."

At that moment, Ve's shouts had risen to a scream. "If you'll excuse me for just one moment. Ve!" He swiftly crossed the floor to where she crouched, clutching her head and rambling nonsense. He crouched next to her, wrapping his arms around her. "Velrietta, what is it?"

Ve shook her head and continued to mutter. "I look human. I look human. I look human. I look human."

"What did you do to her?" he seethed as he looked up at Jarreth, with all his frustration, not recognizing the man's face.

He turned back to Ve when she muttered, "We don't serve you, you serve us. You're a platypus. You can't even use the aethernet."

"I didn't do anything. I was just trying to talk to her and she broke down like some sort of malfunctioning robot-thing."

"We all have tiny little gears that work inside. I'm not broken. I'm not broken," Ve continued to mutter.

"You must have said something so set her off. What was it?" Reginard demanded.

"Nothing, I swear!"

Reginard turned his attention to Afton. "You. Go fetch her a glass of water, over there." He nodded in the general direction of the bar. "Izzy!" He called. "I need you to look after this woman while I deal with the maniac that set her off."

OOC: sorry about the length! I got a little carried away. Embarassed But, hope you enjoy! (PS also, we shall be adding another character to the mix. Hope you enjoy him)
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Izzy took a moment to mull over what he'd just told her. Flagship of the Constantine Corporation... A glorified prisoner... She made a sound almost like a feral growl at that, and vowed she'd be free of this place as soon as possible.

Reginard's yelling for her roused her from her thoughts, and she ran to him, one hand clutching the hilt of her sword possessively. "I need you to look after this woman while I deal with the maniac that set her off." Great, first a glorified prisoner, now a glorified baby-sitter....

"Erm, are you alright, sweetheart?" Izzy gently went to place a comforting hand on Ve's shoulder, unsure of the reaction she'd get from this.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Ve continued to mutter. "Frogs have legs. Why don't horses have legs. Pretty little wind up dolls have fire that dances. Poor little thing."

Then something happened, a hand touched her shoulder, an unfamiliar hand. An unfamiliar voice asked if she was alright. All at once the memories and pain and agonizing light were sucked back into a black hole where they left her in a delightful little room with sparkles and sunshine.

She turned to look at Izzy, her eyes going wide with wonder and surprise. Her back stiffened to a more proper posture and she smiles a sweet, empty smile. "'Ello dear. I dun believe we've met. I'm Miss Velrietta."

~~~~~

Reginard, satisfied that Ve was taken care of, stood, grabbed Jared's collar and dragged him into a dark corner where he found a hallway that wasn't visible from the rest of the room. With minimal effort, he thrust Jarreth against the wall.

"Stay away from Ve."

"What did I do?" Jarreth demanded.

"Did you bring up her past?"

"Yes?"

"Then that's what you did."

"Who are you? What do you care?"

Reginard's jaw stiffened and he closed his eyes, running over the pros and cons of telling Jarreth that he had a friend, had someone on the inside. At last there was only one conclusion he could draw. In a singular instant he removed the mask on his lower face and dropped his accent.

"It's me, Jare."
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Izzy jumped at the sudden change,. pulling her hand back. "You're right, I don't believe we have. I'm Izzy. You have a very pretty dress on...." She smiled slightly, though it was clearly pained; in all the years she'd spent in institutions, this was a clear picture of insanity at the worst, instability at the best. Her stomach churned uneasily at the memories, and she shook her head to dismiss them.
    Alethearia
    Admin

Post  Alethearia on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:13 am

"Izzy, hehe." Ve's head lulled in Izzy's direction. "Funny name, that is. A bit odd if you ask me. But oo am I to talk? Name like mine. It's like some sort of little paper toy, just flitters away like there's nothin there. huh..." Ve could have gone on like this for some time, she probably would have if it wasn't for her noticing something on the far side of the room. "Shiny little bobbles dancing in the sun."

OOC: I love how we're finding out more about Izzy.
    Izzy Burnham

Post  Izzy Burnham on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:26 am

Izzy's head turned in the direction that Ve was looking, squinting just a bit. "What do you see, dear?" She asked, turning to look at the poor girl again.

OoC: Heh... :3
    JR Murray

Post  JR Murray on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 am

James watched the breakdown Jarreth caused with interest, sipping on a rather fine glass of ale the barman had produced. A fellow who looked to be fair brimming with confidence shoved a pretty, weapon-clad lass at the sobbing woman, and then suddenly turned and grabbed Jarreth, flinging him into a nearby room. This drew a growl from deep in James' throat, and he loped off in that direction, changing his nails to claws in transit. He slammed the door open just as the man looked at Jarreth and removed his mask, whispering something. But James was already mid leap....

OOC: hello all, it has been a long while between drinks, but it is a new year, and hopefully more time to play. I am no longer getting emails if someone posts here, so I'll attempt to rectify that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 pm